Monday, June 01, 2009

Lessons learned and a world changed

It was hard coming back to the States and I felt I was dropped into an entirely different world with the loss of certain influence in life now. A month has gone by but hardly did a day pass without my missing and thinking about Mom. No words can express how much gratitude and love I have for her. Each day there is new admiration and appreciation for her as I contemplate over her examplary life.

~ I have learned that Mom really enjoyed and loved life. She always opened herself to new ideas and exposed us to them as well. She studied hair-styling, make-up, driving, English, dancing, computers even late in her life. She found ways to put those skills into use and bless people around her.
~ I have come to realize that Mom has set high standards on herself. She always did things for a good reason, sometimes without others' understanding. She has been constantly finding ways to battle her illness and alleviate her stress without letting others know too much about it. She is such a trooper and she never gave up.
~ I have witnessed Mom treasured her friendship and it was amazing to see the outpouring of care and love from others during the past few weeks. And now I know just a few words of comfort from others did help and have great impact in lessening someone's pain.
~ I found myself truly blessed growing up in a wonderful home in Hong Kong. Mom and Dad had made such huge sacrifice to settle in here and provided us with fantastic environment to learn and grow.
~ I have noticed lately how insignificant many of the things in life are to me now and I really can't sweat the small stuff all the time. After all love does equal happiness, and I mean longlasting, long-term happiness, nothing else.

From now on I will no longer have the previlege of using the word "Mom" to address someone on earth and the word hence has become a sacred term to me. As I put up pictures of Mom around the house, a sense of bliss and peace naturally was flowing all around. The most important thing I have learned is I love my Mom with all my heart and she does love me too. No, I did not learn that, I do know she loves me. That's all it matters.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I know the last few posts were very personal to you. However, thank you for sharing. You're words were inspiring and beautiful. I am sorry for the tough things you and your family have been going through. Thanks for being an example of light and strength to others. I haven't peeked in on your blog for awhile, but I am glad I did. Your mother sounds like a very amazing woman and I have no doubt she was! What a wonderful tribute to her.

Phil said...

I am sorry to hear about some of the heart ache you have had to experience lately. We are so blessed to have the gospel to lift us in these trying/ challenging times. I had fun reading your blog. Take Care, Phi Bastian (former student)

Raymond said...

Natalie, thank you so much for your kind words. I enjoy your blog and seeing your cute family grows. You are one wonderful mother yourself. Kennedy and Nathan are so adorable that I would love to meet them in person some day. I just got a message from Brian a few weeks ago and it's incredible that he was reading the blog in that far of a place as well. I am so proud of you all.

Phil, it was nice to hear from you and yes I am really thankful for all the blessings we have. And it has been a trying but enlightening experience so far. I hope everything is going well for you too.