Tuesday, February 12, 2008

When everything turns red...

First of all don't get me wrong, this is not meant to be China-bashing being Chinese myself but I think we do need to be honest with ourselves when it comes to certain important issues.

Back in high school my least favorite subject was Chinese history and I totally sucked at it. It is not that I hated the subject but it was the way it was presented was totally uninspiring and dull. These days I have been studying quite a bit and have taken a good look and thinking about what have happened especially in the past 50 or so years in the "motherland". I am fascinated at the turn of the events but at the same time many of the things are plain depressing.
Maoist cult, the Great Leap Forward, Cultural Revolution, June-Fourth, corruption, pollution, human rights, SARS, Darfur, AIDS, economic disparity, religious freedom, news censorship, industrial hazards, peasant uprising... the list goes on and on that all the problems past and present cannot be covered under the disguise of "economic prosperity and social stability". I just hope everyone can take the courage to face the naked truth of what really is going on and what matters most to both individuals and the nation as a whole. I applaud Spielberg for his courage to use his power and influence to step up and tell the truth. Even my favorite grocery store Trader Joe's is doing something about it. It just gives me chills to see the big red Communist China become the next superpower while it preserves many of its irrational mentality, ideology, and behavior from the past. All we can do is to keep our fingers crossed things can improve when people are enlightened, especially with the free flow of information on the internet and the advancement of technology...

2 comments:

Dan Evensen said...

真的很有意思,谢谢你. 理解毛泽东对中国的影响真不容易.

By the way, Philip Short, the narrator, wrote probably the best biography of Mao in the English language, as well as an excellent biography of Pol Pot. This is excellent history.

Raymond said...

Thanks! It took me a while to figure who this "shagua" is. :) I sure will check that book out. Say hi to Holly for me!