Monday, April 09, 2007

Happenings

My dated and almost vintage DELL laptop has finally given up on IE7 and I can no longer access any secured websites (which require passwords) or even use messengers. So I'm ditching IE!

So from now on you probably won't see me around on MSN or YIM for a while. This blog or my email probably are the best ways to get in touch with me in cyberspace now. Anyways, I switched to Firefox and I am loving it. It works even faster and smoother than IE.


Last Friday I had one of the most memorable teaching experiences of all time. We were going through routine grammar drills and it was the last class of Friday. I was getting tired of the text book exercises myself so I asked the class if they felt the same. Of course the response was a unanimous "yes" (whey did they ever say they were NOT tired anyways?) I decided to do an impromptu game activity "Big Wind Blows". For you Hongkongers you know what I am talking about. The class sits in a circle and one person stands in the middle and gives a statement. If the statement is true to anyone in the group those people are "blown by the big wind" and they have to find a new seat competing with the person in the middle. The person that is left without a seat becomes the new spokesperson and so on. We were learning the Chinese perfective so it is a nice game to practice through playing. Well, they made quite a scene and lots of noise in the game. It was almost funny to see these soldiers in uniform in action (pun intended) during the game. But boy, didn't we all have fun. We were so loud that it concerned our department chair and the MLI that they stopped by and checked on what we were doing. By the time the dept chair got here we were done playing and all she saw was a messy classroom while the class was trying to catch a breath and working on their grammar again. I was both embarrassed but proud by the scene! I felt like I had my "Dead Poets Society" moment of my life! :)


Another random quote of the day:
Whatever product you're putting out, make it the best product you can make. Whatever your job is, [try] to challenge yourself every day.
~Ellen DeGeneres

No comments: