Sunday, April 15, 2007

In the backyard...

Just watched "Happy Times" (幸福時光) by Zhang Yimou. I did not have high hopes and the first half was as I expected to be typical Chinese humor and to be honest I am often bugged by the Chinese pragmatism and nonstop arguing and yelling on screen. I really enjoy the second half however as the plot focuses on the relationship between the old man and the girl. The old man's action is not as ridiculous and the girl's acting is great. My favorite part is almost at the very end of the movie when the gangs were "recording" the letter while the cassette player was actually playing. It's hilarious and just classic.

Sometimes there are treasures that you are not aware of right in your backyard. I was getting paper work done on campus for my annual leave and I stumbled across these remnants of the Berlin Wall and it's quite amazing to behold.

Also Monterey is also the place where everything about California began. The first California Constitution was signed here and the city hall where it all happened is minutes away from my house.

The well known bear on the Californian flag!

No comments: