Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My apartment rocked (not in a good way)!!!

More than ten years ago one night I was working late into the wee hours in front of my dorm room desk at the U of U. Then came a quick shake of the entire room. I jerked my head around and saw my roommate still sleeping soundly. The next day I asked him if he felt it and of course the answer was "no". Later it was confirmed as a real earthquake of a magnitude of about 3. That was my only experience with earthquakes.

Again tonight I was sitting in front of my desk watching some trashy Hong Kong TV shows. Then came the shakes. I thought it was my body's muscle spasms due to lack of sleep. It was first a kind of small geyser eruption type of movements followed by a couple more seconds of my desk shifting and even the house was rocking. It was short and abrupt but had it lasted longer I would have freaked and run out of the house. I just experienced mock quakes from an earthquake simulator at the Tech Museum in San Jose a few weeks ago with my fam and little did I know I would feel the real thing first hand originated from the San Jose area. It's a magnitude 5.6!!!

No comments: