Monday, January 28, 2008

Praise to the Man

Having been dealing with quite a few life and death matters lately, namely suicidal friend, family member with serious illness, and even the death of Heath Ledger, this is the one that I am finally comfortable with. Thanks to Tiffany who informed me within an hour of the news (from Hong Kong!) President Hinckley finally rested in peace and reunited with his wife. What a remarkable man of God he is. He became prophet right before I came to the US (Salt Lake City, Utah to be exact) and since then I had the privilege to sing in front of him (and right behind him) on a few occasions. I met a few of his grandchildren and one of them even told me a bit about his life and his love of all the people that he served. I was so amazed with his achievements that I finished reading his biography in less than a month (a record for me at the time) and voluntarily wrote a paper on him for an institute class that I sat in. His biggest influence on me was this conference talk that I still clearly remember I read on the first day of December 1999 which gave me the much needed conviction to do well on the most memorable month of my mission in Hong Kong. His extraordinary ability in summing up the history of mankind in beautiful words and his eloquence totally left me in awe.

This is another nice news article on his achievements.

May God bless us with a sense of our place in history and . . . our need to stand tall and walk with resolution in a manner becoming the Saints of the Most High. ~Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments: