Monday, September 04, 2006



It's been almost a year since I last played golf. What great fun we had at the Reserve at East Bay in Provo today. I did better than I thought as we kept playing. I'd better get my own set of golf clubs soon.

I read from an old newsletter from the College of Humanities at BYU an article of our Dean John Rosenberg. He said

... Though archiving is central to our work in Humanities, the benefits of education are not in the storing, but in the exploring. ... Our training is not a coupon to be redeemed at the alluring shops with leases in the great and spacious building. Our covenant is to "be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle," to seek out of the best books..., to become acquainted with all good books -- that requires more than a four-year degree-- "and with languages and tongues and people." ... By seeing our Humanities education not as a product, but as a catalyst that enables future learning, we help insulate ourselves against pride. One who is truly educated is fundamentally reverent. She realizes that each page turned, each witness absorbed uncovers questions not et considered and possibilities unforseen, and that these then require the turning of countless more pages. The ever expanding mind sees the world as a great book to be explored, writing in the margin as in goes. Paracelsus described the whole earth as a book or library "in which the pages are turned with our feet ... pilgrimly." Most importantly, a disciple humanist sees his education -- past, present, and future -- as a gift generously bestowed upon him, inaccesible to the vast majority of Heavenly Father's noble children.

I love his words describing the mission of a life-long learning humanist/linguist and it applies to a fresh graduate graduate like me. I really need to read and write more to keep my language skills polished. I had an interview with Dean Rosenberg when I was hired as a part-time faculty a few months ago and he seemed to be a nice wise man. I like to listen to people like him whose words are truly inspiring but not phony and preachy.

No comments: