Monday, October 16, 2006

I watched Crash over the weekend and at first I didn't like it and I questioned its being best picture last year. It's too "heavy". Heavy with drama, heavy with "F-bombs", heavy with sensationalisms. The more I thought about it, the more I like it though. I like the allegory between car crash and culture crash. How traffic runs into each other and how lives cross each other. I like movies that make me think. The music is beautiful and the acting is impeccable.

I like my job more each day as it's not really hard work and I'm so glad these days after work I have a lot more time to read, think, and watch movies that I've wanted to for a long time. I've been reading several books concurrently (I do think I have ADDs): including a book of everything about Monterey, 1421 (China's sea voyage before Columbus), a book on translation HK style, as well as the Idiot's Guide to American History which is fascinating to read. I just read about the connections between Asians and the Native Americans (they likely crossed the "land bridge" linking the 2 continents close to Alaska many thousand years ago) and the origin of the name America (from the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci). There's so much to learn and so much I don't know!

No comments: